Mechanicsburg Village Board June meeting minutes
The regularly scheduled June meeting of the Mechanicsburg Village Board was called to order with the Pledge of Allegiance.
Present were Mayor Trew, Trustees Conn, Berndt, Mosley and Rogers, Treasurer Kriener and Clerk Abbott. Trustees Hohimer and Metcalf were absent.
Recognition of Visitors: None.
Zoning Report: Nothing related to Zoning to report.
Engineering Report: Village Engineer, Mr. Kevin Kuhn, presented the 2011 MFT Plan for the Board’s approval.
Police Report: The Police Department hired a part-time police officer, Sam Gool. Mr. Gool is a highly decorated officer who has been in law enforcement since 1997.
A suspect has been apprehended in regard to the May 25 Post Office Burglary, Illini Bank ATM break-in, burglary and vehicle theft. The department is currently working to
put together more evidence to bring the case to court. Much of the stolen property has been recovered and is currently being held by the State's Attorney’s office. The police
have also recovered stolen property that was not a part of this particular case and are working to resolve those crimes as well. The Board discussed the monthly incident
report. The mayor requested that the chief investigate several abandoned/unlicensed vehicles within the Village.
Approval of Minutes: The Board approved the May 2, 2011 Regular Board Meeting Minutes. 4-0 vote.
Payment of Monthly Bills: The board approved the payment of Monthly Bills. 4-0 vote.
1. The Board approved the Annual Prevailing Wage Ordinance for 2011. 4-0 vote.
2. The Board approved the Motor Fuel Tax Plan for 2011. 4-0 vote.
3. The Board approved Revisions to the Culvert Ordinance – Chapter 33. 4-0 vote.
4. The board discussed several issues regarding changes to the Abandon Vehicle Ordinance – Chapter 2 – Abandon Vehicles – a revision to the Nuisance Ordinance
Chapter 27 to include Abandon Vehicles and Motorcycles.
The purpose of the discussion was to refine provisions of the current ordinance to eliminate all unlicensed, unregistered and or abandoned vehicles from the Village.
No action was taken pending further revisions to the ordinance.
5. The Board (a) approved a donation in the amount of $500 from the General Fund to Larry Watkins Sr. for fireworks display; (b) approved to use the Village’s
General Fund as a “clearing” fund to pass through all donations, made payable to the Village of Mechanicsburg, for the specific purpose of providing a fireworks display be
made payable to Larry Watkins Sr. and (c) approved the use of the Playground Park on July 4 for the fireworks display – with a waiver of all fees. 4-0 vote.
6. The Board approved a variance to the Municipal Ordinance; Chapter 33.20 – Signs, to allow the posting of advertisement signs for the “Gas Depot” at the
entrance of the Village’s corporate limits. 4-0 vote.
7. The Board approved the purchase of 100 cubic yards of playground mulch for the New Park at a cost of approximately $2,175 from Stillwater – playground mulch
material. 4-0 vote.
8. The Board approved the purchase of $75 in gift certificates ($25 each) for the former trustees Georgia Aarup, Doug Payton and Tony Shoaff. For Appreciation for
their service to the community. 4-0 vote.
9. The Board approved the use of Memorial Park on June 25 for Movie in the Park. 4-0 vote.
10. The Board held discussions regarding the use of an exclusive waste disposal company for the Village including conditions of service and rates.
During the recent legislative session, the Village’s local tax revenue and TIF funding were left intact. However, the State may be re-addressing the TIF issue again in
Branch pick-up dates have been set for Monday June 13 and Tuesday June 14.
Movie in the Park, Yogi Bear, set for June 25. Thanks to the MFPD and Randy Janet and Bob Edwards.
The May 21 Diabetes Assoc. Bicycle ride was a success and they have already inquired about coming back again next year.
The Car Show, which ended up being held on May 29, was also a huge success having over 113 cars on exhibit and an overflowing crowd in attendance.
In addition to the all town garage sale on May 21, the Village rented spaces to a number of vendors at Memorial Park. Hopefully the event will grow and more vendors
will be interested in renting display spaces.
The installation of edging around the Memorial Park gazebo has been completed and the planting of trees and shrubbery will begin soon.
The Fireworks show is scheduled for July 4 at the “New Park.”
The Mayor again asked for suggestions in naming the the “New Park” and the “Griffith Creek Park.”
The litigations is still ongoing in the MBWC case with little progress at this time.
Trustees Berndt, Conn and Mosley: Nothing to report.
Trustee Rogers: Had two requests. Would like to have the ball field dragged and also would like the village to look into mowing the weeds on the east side of the
fence at the “New Park” next to Church St. The Mayor stated that he would get these done.
Adjournment: All ayes.
Issue Date: July 7, 2011